Sunday, June 20

Nova Scotia shooting at least 17 people Kills

Nova Scotia Shooting, Gabriel Wortman, Nova Scotia, Noreen Noshi

The Nova Scotia killings killed at least 17 people, including a policewoman on duty, the RCMP confirmed at a media availability on Sunday evening. The man suspected of being the active shooter who kept the police on the alert in Nova Scotia is dead.

“This event claimed many victims. Countless families are in mourning today, “said Lee Bergerman, Assistant Commissioner of the Nova Scotia RCMP. The RCMP have confirmed the deaths of at least 17 people.

“We don’t yet know the exact number of victims. The investigation is continuing in sectors that we have not yet explored in the provinces. There are several sites in the province where people have been killed, “said Chris Lether, Chief of Criminal Operations for the Nova Scotia RCMP. The motivations of the shooter are still unknown, he added.

A policewoman lost her life. Heidi Stevenson was an RCMP officer with 23 years of service. She was the mother of two children. She lost her life while on duty while answering a call for an active shooter.

The man suspected of being the active shooter kept the police on the alert for 12 hours in Nova Scotia died. The individual and the RCMP officer were killed at the end of the long manhunt.
A source familiar with the matter confirmed that the suspect died at a gas station in En-field, a municipality about 35 kilometres northwest of downtown Halifax.

According to the RCMP, the suspect is a 51-year-old man named Gabriel Wortman. He is a white, bald, green-eyed man who is approximately six feet and two inches tall. The man was considered “armed and dangerous”.

Wortman was a dent urologist in Dartmouth, according to the Nova Scotia Denturist Society website. The photo of the suspect released by the RCMP corresponds to video images of an individual who gave an interview on dent urology to the CTV Atlantic network in 2014.

At the end of the morning, the crime scene was surrounded by six RCMP vehicles. Yellow ribbons were installed around the gas pumps, and a silver-colored sport utility vehicle was searched by the police.

The story began on Saturday evening. A 9-1-1 call reported numerous shots in a residence. When they arrived, the police discovered a real carnage.

“The research took us to several places, including burning buildings. Our research continued during the night and in the morning. […] This is an investigation which involves several victims and crime scenes, “added officer Chris Lether.

A first RCMP tweet, released around midnight local time, asked people to avoid the Porta pique area and not to go out while the police were investigating complaints about gunfire.
Meanwhile, several building fires have been reported by local residents, but the police have declined to offer further details.

Corporal Lisa Croteau, spokesperson for the Nova Scotia RCMP, said that the police were informed at approximately 10:30 pm of the presence in the area of “a person carrying a firearm”. The police understood that the shooter was active.

Several officers from across the province were dispatched to the scene. Evacuations took place in the area where the first complaint was reported.
The situation was further complicated when the man began to circulate in a vehicle almost identical to an RCMP service car, identified on the rear side by the number 28B11.

The suspect then changed vehicles, said the RCMP. He was driving a silver-colored Chevrolet utility vehicle.

In a twitter posted at 9 a.m. local time on Sunday morning, the RCMP again asked the citizens of Porta pique to take shelter inside their residence and lock the doors. This village bordering Cob equid Bay is located 41 kilometres west of Truro.

Almost 90 minutes later, the suspect was spotted further north on Highway 4 near the Hidden Hilltop campground. He then took Highway 102 into the Brook-field area.

In total, the suspect would have traveled more than 100 km between Porta pique and En-field, before being finally intercepted.